It has become a frequent mechanism wherein the hackers hack into the Magento store and asks the victims to pay the ransom! Typically, such attacks known as Ransomware is a type of malware from cryptovirology that threatens to publish the victim’s data or consistently block access to their store unless the ransom amount is paid.
Some simple Ransomware may lock down the system whereas, advanced malware uses a technique called cryptoviral extortion, which encrypts the victim’s files, and prohibits any kind of access to it.
Here are five guidelines to avoid such situations and keep Hackers away from Your Magento Store!
- Update Magento version regularly: It has become extremely important to run your Magento store on the latest version. This step will ensure that the hackers will not be able to break through your store. It will help you to keep along with all the updates that are provided in the Magento Security Centre which will help you learn as to when it is just the right time to patch up vulnerable issues related to security.
- Take Backups frequently: However simple it may sound but to stay protected it is essential to take frequent backups. To save you from regular headache let me tell you that it is also possible to get automated backups as per predefined timelines. Ransomware generally works on a premise that if the data is fully encrypted on to the server, the person ceases to have any access to it. Hence it is essential to keep a backup strategy that will help face any kind of a disaster, inclusive Ransomware.
- Create strong passwords: Again, a simple yet highly effective strategy is to create a strong password. Unauthorized access is a potentially major problem for Magento store owners. Severe consequences for victims of these break-ins can include a major loss of valuable data. Victims may also lose their bank account information, or even their identity. All of these hardships can be cured by using a strong password.
- Use Two-Factor Authentication: Instead of just using the combination of login ID password, use Two Factor Authentication, or 2FA, which is an additional security layer for your Magento store. Due to this the hacker who even has your credentials will not be able to harm your Magento store.
- Turn Session Expiration On: Another easy and effective way to protect your Magento store from Ransomware is to turn your Session Expiration on. With the threshold of the lower time limit, let’s say, 5 minutes it will log you out of your Magento admin panel.
Implementing these five things will surely help your Magento store to run seamlessly for longer time. Also, make sure that you are aware of all the security tips Magento offers for uninterrupted sales in your Magento shops. If you are seeking any assistance, why don’t you drop your words to us, and we will surely help you with that.
Was this article helpful?
Fill the form below if you want to run a security audit on your Magento store